Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Friday, September 29, 2006

1st Letter From Squeaky... hopefully not the last!

She said "Assassins" makes her "look like a true fool." I wrote her back and assured her that I MYSELF do NOT think her a fool.

"I may've set myself up for that," she says, "but I don't celebrate it. The writers had and have very specific messages to convey. Your director will also have his take on it."

About Bravin's book she says, "Biographies are bound to be off the mark, subjects used peripherally to express a message, even more so. History is re-written every two or three decades."

And then she breaks my heart: "But I still love, and that includes respect for air, water, and the network of life on earth that keeps us alive. And I still value those things more than all the world's trading commodities. What could be more simple?" SO TRUE! That part of her has always amazed and inspired me. She then signs the letter, as if it is done, but continues on the next page. I had written to her about my dear friend who passed away (see posting "Tis Better..." from April). She writes, "I am sorry about your friend. We are fortunate to know the experience." Wise words. I imagine that maybe she is thinking about people who are incarcerated separately from her, not necessarily people who have died also.

Back to the biography, “It would be difficult for me to dissect the Bravin book in a few short paragraphs. There are parts of it that are totally wrong but I know it wasn’t his intention to trash me. (The writing, especially early on, is sappy and the reasons he gives for some things, silly). . .Bravin makes some untrue assumptions about Manson. He makes the understandable error of trying to sum up reasons for my actions based upon untrue statements from my former associates; I barely knew Rachel. I think she may believe that my dad had sex with me and she thinks she heard me suggest it, but it wasn’t even fashionable then to talk about incest, and I certainly wouldn’t entertain it. My father was emotionally abusive; he wasn’t physically abusive unless by omission. And I didn’t say he was. I wasn’t clinging to her as she says. Sorry, but that wasn’t me. I didn’t need someone to sleep with me. I’d been away from my parents’ house for over a year when I met Rachel. . .I’m not saying I was fearless and bold and experienced. I was timid about some things but proceeding cautiously with enough gumption to handle the new situations. . .I wish I could remember all the things in Brain’s book that were so offensive to me. Much of it wasn’t and I am relieved not to have to explain to anyone that I didn’t engage in bestiality or in any of the many weird activities falsely attributed to us by loose reporters.” (I love the way she casually uses “us,” assuming I know who she means, which I do.)

She then asks me to send her a picture of me, which I did this morning… I hope many more letters are to come!

1 Comments:

Blogger Listy-loo said...

ALl I can think is "Wow!".

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home