Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Theatre in NYC

It's so sad how much money controls theatre in NYC. So many young artists, myself included, have something to say but can't afford to say it and if they do, very often it's in someplace so cheap that no one will come see it. And the artists with the money only say things that they're sure someone will pay $65-$125 a pop to see.

I produced a friend's play about 5 years ago. At that time I just happened to have $1400 collecting dust in the bank. I was living with my parents and paying no rent. I produced the show and made back $1200 of my investment. That's damn good for NYC theater. And even if I was sure to only lose $500 on my next venture, I don't have $2000 just lying around these days (and believe me, that's the LEAST amount I could hope to spend, just to book a space). These days I have rent to pay, a puppy to support-- he has health insurance that costs $20 a month, I don't even have health insurance for MYSELF because I can't find it for even 3xs that amount--and I live basically from paycheck to paycheck.

And the saddest part to me is that I have a lot to say and would say it well, if given the chance to produce again. And I have friends who are so talented that I would use to send my message, friends whose talents are sorely underused and underappreciated who could really use the jobs I would give them, the exposure I would allow them. I told one such friend the role I would cast her in, had I the chance. "Oh my GOD I would KICK ASS in that role, but you're the only one who would cast me in it-- no one else sees that I have that in me." I know that. I want that for her. I want it all for myself. I want to say something important, to upset people, to make them think and cry and change the way they treat people around them-- to make them realize that it MATTERS...

too bad I don't make enough money and am now facing two months of unemployment...

DAMN.

2 Comments:

Blogger _hieu said...

HA. i know exactly what you mean. life's damn rough. i moved out of the basement last year [philly to san diego], and i'm facing the same dilema [sans the unemployment]. as for our voice, we just have to yell. LOUDER. and in groups if need be.

hey, we have the internet at least, right? take care, love your blog!

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, I wallow in your if-onlys, but we musn't let the if-onlys become albatross's (albotrii?) around our necks. We just have to stay close to the heat of creativity, the joy of making. Whether or not They will follow or not - that's out of our hands and always has been (lest we think otherwise).
Just do.
I know it sounds naive, and when I was 25, I would've called such sentiments out as such. But I've spent enough time now shilling joylessly for the man, writing heartless for money, and it satisfies, but on my death bed (assuming I'm lucky enough to die in bed), will I say - Man, I wish I had just earned 5,000 more.
It all starts with ambition and a leap of faith.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home