Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The story unfolds...


At our fourth rehearsal (which went great; the cast is UBER-TALENTED and we are already joking around and getting along really well) I talked to a cast member about the biography of Squeaky I’m reading (click the link above for more info). He noted that I seem to grow increasingly fond of her. I agreed, full well knowing how sick it may seem to be fond of a woman who attempted to kill people, ordered others to kill people, and worshipped a madman who preached Hitler-esque theories. But don’t we as actors have to find empathy for the characters we play, try to understand where they’re coming from, and at least find PARTS of them we can love? I mean, as I said before, I could’ve been her! I am more and more convinced the only reason I didn’t venture down her path of violence and hatred was because I have a loving and supportive mom and dad, while hers were a mouse and a monster…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's necessarily the job of the actor to "love" the character that their playing. There is a dangerous borderline between that and understanding the character.

Actors play awful people all the time but it doesn't mean they grow to love these characters.

I think it's the job of the actor to be able to separate the character from their reality.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

True, but please realize I said love a PART of the character, not the character as a whole.

I love Squeaky's spirit, her love of animals and the environment, her intelligence, her passion, her smile, and the way she squeaked when she got excited; these things I think we have in common.

I do NOT love her as a whole human being-- she's sick, unbalanced, violent, and profoundly sad.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

I love that this has become your on-line acting workbook. I'd love to see more entries and some "table work" posted!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

what do you mean by table work? =)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home