Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Juno talk

In case anyone was wondering why I questioned my love for ‘JUNO’ it is because while the performances are wonderful and I love the message of the film (see previous post), I know it’s not a perfect movie. I recently discussed its (FEW!) flaws with ‘The Fink’:

Me: Did you not like Juno??? =(

Fink: I really didn't. . .I just felt it was so self-conscious and precious and everyone spoke in the same voice. My problem was mostly with the script, not the performances

Me: I thought that at first, but then I felt like it got real. Like the whole thing with Mark turning out to be a prick but Juno still wanting to give Vanessa the baby seemed more real (the note that she ended up framing KILLED ME!). I think the too-cool-for-school dialogue was just a hook to get people laughing and reel them in so they weren't put off by the mushy stuff right away. I just loved the pro-parents, pro-love, pro-adoption message.
And this bit really killed me:
“Juno MacGuff: I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno MacGuff: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, like people in love. . . I just need to know if it's possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It's not easy, that's for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I'm proud to say that we're very happy. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.”

Fink: I can see that, but for me it had the opposite effect and I was done about 20 minutes in. Like I said, I liked the performances- I'd watch Michael Cera read a cereal box. I just didn't love it.

Me: *sigh.* ok. I'm sad, but I hear ya. OMG- did you see the promos for the movie with just Michael Cera and Jason Bateman sitting next to each other shootin' the shit? HILARIOUS!!!

Fink: They are hilarious.... I love the two of them together. Arrested Development is one of the greatest TV shows ever.

Me: YES YES YES!!! I hope the rumors about a movie are true!!!!!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as long as you're quoting me... I'm going to say that I felt it had more than a few flaws. Like I said before- very self-conscious, precious and filled with reference humor- which I loathe. And yes, I get it, Juno, you're delightfully kitschy with your hamburger phone.

I also found it frustrating that everyone seemed to have the same voice- the only people who sounded like individuals were Michael Cera, Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner. I think first two are so unique and have such interesting qualities as actors that they were able to rise above. In my opinion, Garner's character was the only written in a different voice. And most frustrating- I saw the ending with adoptive parents coming a mile away.

That said, I liked the performances very much and love the overall message of the film. It's the writing I didn't love.

I know that I'm in the vast minority of filmgoers.... and it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. Does anyone but me remember the great Shakespeare in Love/Saving Private Ryan debate?

fink

2:57 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

O.k., well since you brought it up, you said everyone had the same voice except M.C., J.B. & J.G. So who does that leave? Juno, her dad, her step-mom and her best friend. Doesn't it make sense that they'd have kinda the same voice? I mean most kids have a similar voice to their parents, especially if the parents are wise-crackers, and best friends, especially in h.s. have similar voices/phrases/senses of humor, no? Maybe I'm reaching, but not too far, methinks.

I loved “Shakes in Love” so don't even get me started on that, but I have yet to see “Saving...”

Regardless, we both love Arrested, and that love, as well as the love of Ken Marino will always 'keep us together!' ;D

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think MC and JB were still written in the same voices as everyone else. I just think their unique voices as actors didn't mire them in it.... But even the 30+ year old clerk in the store with "your eggo is preggo".... it was pervasive and for me, frustrating.

And yeah, to some extent we all have similar voices to our parents, but not in the way presented here, in my opinion. For me, it was just unrealistic.

And yes, we can share our love of Ken Marino (whom I just saw on Reno 911 and laughed my ass off). ;)

Oh and the debate centered around the Oscar being awarded to Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. There were many who disagreed with that decision. Not so much me. I love both movies, but I didn't understand the drama surrounding it.

fink

12:20 AM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

Well what can you do. When you're turned off, you're turned off. ;)

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home