Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

We Are Scientists at Roseland




I know that if I wasn’t friends with the guys of We Are Scientists, I’d still love their music. I’m sure if I hadn’t hung out with Chris Cain and his gorgeous baby boy, I’d still find him hilarious when he cracks jokes between concert numbers. I’m positive that I would still find Keith Murray as fun to watch, had we not, on several occasions, ruminated over the wonder that is my Jem and the Holograms T-shirt. Never the less, it is the case, and I couldn’t be happier for their success. I have seen them in concert about a dozen times now, everywhere from a tiny little bar in Alphabet City where my boyfriend and I were two of about 10 people in attendance, to just recently at Roseland Ballroom (with Arctic Monkeys) where we were two of the masses. They’ve come a long way, babies!

This band plays the kind of music, that I find IMPOSSIBLE to sit still while hearing. Some have compared them to The Killers, but I think they’re much less grandiose and pretentious (although I do enjoy the Killers). One friend, who only heard their album but not seen them in the flesh, said they had less mellow Cure flavor, which I can kind of see, but again, W.A.S. is much easier to relate to. Chris, Keith and Michael Tapper are not some freaky mods in weird make-up; they’re just a few cute dudes you watch and think, “They’d be cool to have a few beers with” (and you’d be right)!

At Roseland the other night, I was pretty hung over. One of my best friend’s birthday parties had been the night before and I helped her celebrate by drinking as many beers as I could. I woke up the next morning very sick and proceeded to spend the majority of the day sleeping, much to the disappointment of my puppy. But once the lights dimmed and those three scoundrels took the stage, I felt just fine. As usual, I couldn’t stop my head from banging and bobbing back and forth, even though it hurt to do so. And even though most of my body ached from various and sundry minor ailments (some due to my gender and some due to my drinking), I couldn’t help gyrating to every beat of every song until their 40 minute set was done. These boys give new meaning to the phrase “the rhythm is gonna get ya.”

Tapper always works his fucking heart out, banging the drums like there’s no tomorrow, drenched in sweat by the start of the second number. Chris is always cool and collected at the bass, almost stoic until the song is over and hilarity ensues as he makes jokes about the sound guy who keeps coming up on stage to adjust sound equipment: “Who is that guy? Hey! What are you doing up here?!?!” And then there’s Keith, the one makes all the ladies swoon (as any good lead singer should). Keith always flashes this grin to Chris that reminds me of the cat that ate the canary. I think Keith knows that the stage is where he belongs and is really enjoying the taste of being there, especially now. He’s sexy as hell, got charisma coming out of his everything, and a voice that plays tricks on itself, changing and wailing, alternately smooth as butter and urgent as a siren.

The highlight of their set for me was when Alex Turner and Matt Helders from Arctic Monkeys joined W.A.S. in “This Scene Is Dead.” Alex took over lead guitar for Keith so he could just sing and slink around the stage wielding his microphone like a weapon and caressing it like a dance partner. Matt sat right next to Michael and they played the drum part in perfect unison, resembling Animal from “The Muppet Show” in all their excitement. It was an awesome surprise, especially when Keith stood up on the little bit of space between the two drummers and shouted down at all four musicians surrounding him. I cannot do justice with my words… it was just SOOOOOOOOOOO COOOL!!!!!!!!!! =D

Suffice to say, We Are Scientists never disappoint, and I defy anyone to see them live and disagree. And if you haven’t heard them yet, get on their website; if you have the time to read this post, you have the time to check out a video or two (all of which are tiny morsels of comic genius, by the way).

www.wearescientists.com

Ah, W.A.S., I count the days until I see you again… IRVING PLAZA, JUNE 30th!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home