Shannonymous

Where everyone is anonymous... except me... kinda... ;)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Squeaky


I have been given the task of playing Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme in an upcoming production of “Assassins.” I am thrilled and strangely fascinated by this woman… this REAL human being, who is still alive… who, as frightening as it may sound, I see a lot of myself in.
Don’t get me wrong- I HATE GUNS AND WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO ASSASSINATE ANYONE!!! I can’t imagine even carrying a gun, let alone wave it or shoot it at anyone. Seriously.

But a dear friend of mine, upon hearing of my audition said, “HELLO! ROLE YOU WERE BORN TO PLAY!!!” And another woman, who I never met before, after seeing my audition said, “You ARE her- you were PERFECT.” And I’ve been called a hippie chick and a flower child and gotten tears in my eyes just talking about my love for and connection to nature… just like Squeaky.
It just makes me think… if certain things had been just a little different in my life, if certain people had been a little sicker or certain others not so strong, if I had been born 20 years before or if my brain had heard a different song…

Where is that line that people cross? How did I avoid it? What is it that pulls some in? What is that dark secret?


“i'm scared as hell

Squeaky's out of jail

i can feel her close behind me

like the devil on my heels

well they say she's heading to California

or maybe for DC

well i'm sitting here down in Georgia

i'm talking with my family. . .

i can feel her closing in

and i hope she understands

that society and me

now we aren't necessarily hand in hand

she's broken all her bonds

got no superficial cause

she gave up all her chances

to live inside the law

so Squeaky

peace on earth

will you tell me what it's worth

from the inside out i'd let you in

you might understand 

now Squeaky

in your mixed-up mind

you may not be so blind 

you might understand

god is in my heart

but the devil is in our bones

and Squeaky

oh Squeaky

you are not alone

yeah you are not alone

give me peace on earth

Squeaky give me peace on earth

and then you tell me what it's worth

from the inside out

i would, i would let you in

i think that you might understand

that god, god is in my heart

but the devil

i said the devil

the devil's in our bones

and Squeaky

oh Squeaky 

we are not alone…”

from “the Ballad of Squeaky Fromme“ by Amy Ray of The Indigo Girls

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"People want evil. In order for there to be a good, there has to be evil. People want it. I don't happen to need scary things chasing me around. I don't want my dreams full of that. I want to see what's here. I want to discover the country. I want to take a look at it".

~Lynette Fromme, 1977

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!
You're gonna be great.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

Friend-
I have read that quote. And I understand the part about evil, but how it grips some and not others is what perplexes me. And it makes me sad that Squeaky wanted to see and discover, and yet has spent the better part of her life discovering only the inside of a prison...

Juicebox-
thanks! =)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

I am very excited for you! When and where is the show?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home